Saturday, November 21, 2009

Health Matters.

I know the title of this blog post is stating the obvious, but the truth is that for some of us that are healthy, we often take it for granted.

I have been reading a book titled "Today Matters" by John C. Maxwell for a while now, and at a very slow pace because I truly want to take in a lot, of the life transforming truth contained in the book. But when I got to the chapter on health, I skimmed through it. I didn't think I had much to learn from the chapter, and did not see the big 'hoopla' on managing the disciplines of health daily.

I consider myself to be a very healthy person. I used to be overweight[not morbidly], but thanks to my husband's love and encouragement, I was able to do what was required in order to lose the excess weight[healthy eating and exercise]. I am hardly ever ill. The most times I have been to the hospital was related to childbirth. Thankfully, I have a high metabolism rate and I can burn calories fast if I exercise. So sometimes, I indulge myself and eat whatever I want and at anytime of the day.

Some days back, series of events made me re-evaluate my health choices and revisit the chapters on health that I had previously skimmed through.

It was a week day and it was time to get the children up and ready for school. I tried getting up but I was feeling extremely nauseous, dizzy and oh... the pain I felt in my stomach. I couldn't function. So I went back to bed leaving my husband to fly solo... and carter to the family's needs. Apparently, something I ate very late into the night, did not go well with my system and has made me very ill. Putting it mildly, "My whole day was very unproductive". After Several teaspoons of Pepto-Bismol[extra strength] and numerous visits to.... You know where, I started reflecting on what the author had written concerning the importance of maintaining a healthy daily discipline.

He writes:

"Neglect enough todays, and you will experience the 'someday' you've wanted to avoid!"

"You can move from one climate to another. You can stay away from someone who wants to harm you. But you can't get away from your body. For as long as you live, you're stuck with it. If you make choices that cause you to be continually hurting or unhealthy, it will affect every aspect of your life, your heart, mind, and spirit."

"Health often determine the quality as well as the quantity of life."

"Think about how hard it is to be positive, concentrate, or pray when you have a tooth ache. More serious conditions can be even more distracting."

If we are going to make the most of our lives, seizing every day and every opportunity; we have to take our health into consideration and go the extra mile to maintain a healthy daily discipline. Thank God I feel a lot better now, but the outcome of some health problems are long lasting and irreversible.

Below are some suggestions the author gave in his book for maintaining good health:

1. MAKE THE DECISION TO KNOW AND FOLLOW HEALTHY GUIDELINES DAILY.

2. HAVE A PURPOSE WORTH LIVING FOR.

3. DO WORK YOU ENJOY.

4. FIND YOUR PACE.

5. ACCEPT YOUR PERSONAL WORTH.

6. LAUGH.

7. EAT RIGHT.

8. EXERCISE.

9. HANDLE STRESS EFFECTIVELY.

To have a more in-depth understanding on how to follow through on these suggestions, you'll have to read the book. On a final note, let this quote be a constant motivation to us all, that:

"It's easier to maintain good health than to regain it"- John C. Maxwell

Make the most of your life, Stay healthy.

Blessings and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment